Admit it. You love to have a tasty sausage with your bacon, ham, toast, and egg. It definitely good to have these fine delicacies on your breakfast plates. Though sausages are usually preserved and cured in the market for consumers, here is a little secret for you – you can actually make them on your own at home! What’s better than homemade cooking, anyway?
With technology becoming more advanced all the time and even the simplest home appliances being upgraded, sausage stuffers are now available in the market, which means you can now have sausages any time you want!
But choosing the best sausage maker is quite tricky, especially for first-timers. To help you out, here’s all the information you need to choose the best sausage stuffer.
What Is A Sausage Stuffer?
First of all, you need to know first what a sausage stuffer, as well as the essential qualities to look for.
What Are The Types Of Sausage Stuffers?
There are three basic types:
1. Horn Sausage Stuffer
- This type is manually operated and are made of stainless steel or cast iron plated with tin.
- They are perfect for beginners or those who just want to make small quantities of 3 to 5 pounds of sausages.
2. Horizontal Sausage Stuffer
- Unlike horn fillers, this type is available both electric and manual models. It has a huge piston-like cylinder that is used to hold the horizontally mounted meat.
- Once you turn the electric motor on, or the crank at the other end of the cylinder, the device starts processing and releasing the cured meat from the stuffing tube up to the end of the cylinder.
- One minor downside is the device needs to be used at the edge of the table to allow the crank to turn well. You can make 5 – 20 pounds of horizontal sausages by using this device.
3. Vertical Sausage Stuffer
- This type is the best for both beginners and pros, and is the most popular of the three.
- Like horizontal sausage fillers, it can also be operated manually or electrically.
- The way it operates is the same as the horizontal model, except that its cylinder is situated vertically.
- You can make 5 - 15 pounds of sausages by using this stuffer.
What To Look For In A Stuffer?
If you are a big sausage lover, then a sausage stuffer is definitely the best gift for you! Imagine if you had the chance to eat your favorite food as frequently as you wanted.
Sausage stuffers vary from one model and type to another and the features attached to each model make them unique. Some are made out of plastic; others metal.
As every model claims to be the best in the universe, you might want to consider our checklist of essential qualities below so that you can choose which sausage stuffer is genuinely the best.
- Always consider safety when buying a tool, especially if it involves electricity or sharp metal parts. The same applies to sausage stuffers. If you want to find the best one, you better consider its safety features.
Imagine if you accidentally ground your arm instead of the meat, or your purchased model exploded due to overheating. Of course, you do not want any of those things to happen.
- Check the manufacturer’s safety precaution measures and look for some warning signs of what you should and should not do. Don’t put your safety at risk.
2. Easy To Maintain
- You do not buy a sausage stuffer to work just use one night.
- Therefore, knowing how long or easily the tool can be maintained is important. How durable it is? Is it easy to clean? Does it rust instantly?
The machine is expected to do a lot of work for you, especially if you are a sausage-savvy kind of person. A sausage stuffer is an investment, so you need to know if it will still be going long after your 999th homemade sausage has been made.
3. Reliable Customer Records
- Make sure that the brand you choose has a proven good track record with consumers.
- Check the buyers' reviews as they will give you reliable and unbiased information about the tools, including the pros and cons, and their own personal experiences.
- But remember that the most popular devices are not always the best.
4. Unique Features
- Check the features of each of your prospective models and how they vary from each other. Always choose the one that’s safe, efficient, and affordable.
5. Affordable Price
- This is one of the main factors in purchasing anything. Just because a device is the most expensive, it doesn’t mean it's also the best.
- Sometimes, the expensive ones are the most complicated to use and are difficult to maintain. There are cheaper ones that work like the most expensive stuffers too. So, be wise.
- Always consider your budget and choose a device within your price range.
Once you have a couple to choose from, compare them and decide which is safe, reliable, easy to maintain and has a unique set of features.
Which Are The Most Recommended Sausage Stuffers?
If you already know what you are looking for, then here are some reviews of the 5 most recommended sausage stuffers that will further enlighten your decision-making process:
This LEM model is made up of stainless steel, including its cylinder and all of its metal gears, which look sturdy and durable. It has two clamps that can secure the sausage stuffer in place while in use and includes 3 stuffing tubes with varying diameters, including ½ inch, ¾ inch, and 1 inch.
Its cylinder is removable, which makes it easier for you to refill and clean it. The plastic piston has air valves that are used to release air out of the top instead of into the stuffer’s casing. This is easy to use and available at a reasonable price. It is, therefore, recommended for beginners.
- Reasonable price.
- 3 stuffing tubes.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Small base.
- Needs to be clamped first before use.
Powered with 3,000 watts, this electrically operated model allows you to control the stuffing process through 3 speeds, which are high, low, and reverse. The reverse speed acts as a troubleshooter whenever the grinding process gets jammed. In terms of safety, the sausage maker has a circuit breaker in case of electrical problems.
You can make a variety of ground meat and stuffed sausages with this model because of its 3 grinding plates, 3 cutting plates, and 3 sausage tube sizes, which are all different sizes. There are 3 types of grinding plate – fine, medium, and coarse. The use of these plates depends on the ingredients that are to be ground.
Made up of stainless steel, this sausage stuffer is very sturdy and long-lasting. Although it is quite expensive for experimental use, it is perfect for the novice user who loves to make different sizes and shapes of sausages.
- Circuit breaker for safety.
- Allows different sausage sizes when stuffing.
- More expensive.
- Noisy gears.
Although it is used by professionals, this model is the best if you want to make sausages quickly and easily. Its cylinder can be tilted back, which makes refilling more convenient, and it has four tube sizes, which are 10, 20, 30, and 40 mm in diameter.
Like the first model, this sausage stuffer has a piston with an air valve that releases air out of the casing. It also features a metal frame, stable base, 9 3/8 inch plunger, a cylinder, and two types of high-torque metal gears, such as single and dual.
- Reasonable price.
- Easy and quick to use.
- Assembled/disassembled quickly.
- Easy to clean.
- You need the secure base to avoid tilting.
- Some meat remains in the large elbow after stuffing.
When we talk about good sausage stuffers, we need to consider ease of use and speed and this device manages to tick both those boxes while doing its job.It weighs only 22 pounds, which is relatively light for a sausage stuffer that can store 11 pounds of meat, considering that all of its parts are made out of stainless steel. At this weight, you can move the sausage stuffer with relative ease to your kitchen or somewhere else, if you want to relocate it.
The design is pretty basic, but hey, sausage stuffers are not really made to be pretty. But if that is a deal breaker for you then you might want to look for another device.
What is more important is its build. This is one mighty, sturdy piece of food preparation machinery. The parts are bolted together quite nicely so you will not have that much shaking or clunky when operating it.
You can also be rest assured that your sausages will be hygienic and safe for consumption, as all the parts that will come into contact with your food are of SGS food hygiene standard.
One unique thing about this stuffer is that it operates horizontally, which means its base is more stable.
There are two fill rates for your stuffing needs – slow and fast and a nifty feature for a small sausage stuffer.
There are also three different tubes for your different casing needs, so you can make small to medium sized sausages easily.
- Relatively compact and light.
- Sturdy construction.
- SGS food hygiene standard parts.
- Its horizontal operations means more stability.
- Two fill rates.
- Basic design.
If you are a professional chef, or someone who owns a restaurant that serves plenty of meat dishes, then this commercial meat grinder and sausage stuffer is the best choice for you. Sophisticated and powerful, it can grind about 725 pounds of meat per hour. If you want a heavy duty grinder at home, then this is the one for you.
Though the price is high, it is a reasonable fit for restaurants that need to prepare several quality-tested meat dishes. Even bones and the most fibrous of meats, like deer and elks, are ground easily. In addition, the grinders, plates, and gears are all dishwasher-safe and there is a circuit breaker in case you have electrical problems.
The sausage stuffer comes with a heavy duty kit and stuffing star. This stuffing star or spacer allows you to regrind meat and stuff the casing at the same time. It also has 3 stuffing funnels that measure 20, 30, and 40 mm. Because it is made of stainless steel, this device is not only powerful, but also easy to maintain.
- Commercial meat grinder.
- Powerful for any type of fibrous meat.
- Stuffing star/spacer.
- A reverse speed for unjamming.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Hard to assemble/disassemble.
Regardless of which sausage stuffer you choose, they will all provide you with a daily supply of good quality homemade sausages. As they all vary in type, composition, and features, you just need to choose the one that suits your interests and budget best.
Hopefully, these tips and reviews will have helped you to choose the best one for you. If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, you can add them down here. Happy stuffing!