Indeed, a good whetstone or sharpening stone is definitely an important tool for cooking activities. These sharpening tools are what helps us keep the knives precise and sharp for slicing and chopping.
With numbers of different types of these tools on the market today, choosing the right one is quite a challenge. With that, buying guide and reviews can be of great help.
Benefits Of Sharp Knives: Why Sharpen Knives?
A sharpening stone is definitely important in keeping the knives sharp. But, what are the reasons to sharpen and keep the knives sharp? Well, simply because there are numbers of benefits to experience and some are the following:
- Sharp knives work a lot better. They need a less brute force to cut, and this leads to less damage to the food. Delicate ingredients look a lot fresher once you cleanly slice them through.
- Sharp knives are a lot safer. Indeed, a sharp blade could be predictable. It makes it a lot easier to control how the blade moves through the food.
These are just some of the benefits that you might experience once you decide to maintain the knives sharp through using the best sharpening stone. Chefs or cooks are the ones to benefit the most from using this simple tool.
Buying Sharpening Stone: What To Look For?
Before deciding which sharpening stone to buy, there are certain factors that need to be considered. These factors will guide you through choosing the right stone for yourself. These factors are the following:
- Look for the stone that has two-sided grits, coarse one and fine one. The fine grit would refine the edge of the knife while the coarse grit would get rid of the nicks, sharpen a dull edge and adjust the bevel.
- Rather than buying two products for your sharpening needs, it would be great to choose a combination stone. It is not just effective, but it saves your costs.
- The size of the sharpening tool could determine the convenience while sharpening the knives. It would be better to have a large one because having a small stone will not make it possible for you to sharpen larger knives.
- Once you start sharpening larger knives, you'll realize the length of this tool is a lot more important than its width. The recommended minimum length would be 8 inches.
If you want to save some money, buy a product that can work on any blade.
The best one should work not just for the kitchen knives but also some other types of blades like hunting or pocket knives, and scissors.
Non-Slip Secure Base
This factor will determine the safety of the product you choose. Since you will be dealing with knives, it could be dangerous for even a little slip to occur.
There are numbers of models out there that have silicone base keeping the stone fixed as you sharpen.
This is another great factor to consider. You want to spend as little time as you can prepping or maintaining the stones, especially if you are a beginner.
There are some whetstones that need frequent cleaning, or they start to flatten, and this can be frustrating. But there is always a guide on how to clean a sharpening stone that can help you a lot.
Those are some of the most important factors that you should consider once you decide to go shopping for the sharpening stone. These factors will make the decision-making process a lot easier and faster.
Reviews Of The Best Sharpening Stones
Finding the best sharpening tool can be tricky, so let us take a more detailed look at our options, one by one.
Looking for a sharpening stone that could sharpen any blades you have? If you are, then this one is a great choice for you. This one is made from premium quality material and quality inspected for true grit combination. It also offers a complete bundle.
This is a complete knife sharpening kit with double-sided premium quality whetstone and more. Through a complete set, you will definitely have a great experience in sharpening your knives and any other blades you have.
Also, this sharpening stone is perfect for an outdoor knife, home and kitchen cutter and precision tools.
It features two-sided grits, 400 and 1000. The brown 400 grit is made for sharpening dull knives while the white 1000 grit will polish the edges.
- A superior bundle perfect for everyone.
- It has many uses.
- Safety is guaranteed.
- High-quality product.
- Might be complicated to use.
For a dual sided stone having a coarse grit of 3000 and a fine grit of 8000, this one from BearMoo is pretty reliable.
It is made from a high-grade white corundum material that assures effective sharpening. Also, it could work with almost all kinds of blades except serrated ones and ceramic knives.
Apart from that, it features non-silicone base that would prevent the stone from slipping as you sharpen. The manufacturer also offers a 30-day money back guarantee if customers are not satisfied with this product. But indeed, this one could provide great performance.
- The finer grit renders the sharpest and most refined blade results.
- A versatile product.
- 30-day money back guarantees.
- Silicon-base that nice grips.
- The middle part might create a hollow once stroked with blade frequently.
- It doesn’t work for serrated blades and ceramic knives.
Another great option, which offers innovative, as well as multi-patented design, is this one from DMT.
It features large precision surface which will definitely provide even and consistent sharpening for different edges. Along with that, it offers a fine diamond stone intended for razor sharp edges and a coarse stone for restoring neglected areas.
This one also comes along with a benchstone base accessory. This could be used with or without water, and also no oils are required. It has a solid construction that is built for a long lasting durability. In fact, this one will offer consistent performance through the years.
- Sharpens knives faster.
- Easy to use.
- Durable and long lasting.
- High quality and great performance.
- Not recommended for handheld sharpening.
This one is another high-quality sharpening stone. It has double sided grits. First one is the 4000 grit abrasive that you could use to refine as well as maintain a cutting edge. On the other side, you'll find the 8000 grit, which is being used to polish cutting edges.
This product also comes in a blue plastic case which is hinged with a removable lid. This case would serve as great protection for the stone and keep it lubricated. The removable lid could be used as the sharpening station on the bench. It features non-slip rubber feet which will prevent unfortunate accidents.
This product is made of the abrasive grading materials. It has the grit that is fine, and the bond is a lot softer than oil stones.
You’ll need to use water to create a paste out of abrasive grains which are supposed to remove the metal from the blade. Of course, a clean-up is less messy if water is used instead of oil.
- Effective sharpening tool with less pressure.
- Combination stone for dual purposes.
- Cleans up easily.
- No-slip rubber feet that hold the stone.
- The stone is not flat.
Indeed, the stones included in this kit are high-quality, and they come in wood boxes. The only difference is comparing to previous sets is that these stones are permanently glued to the wooden base. However, the result is the same quality, for a lower price.
This kit includes a hard, soft and black Arkansas stones.
- The soft one should be used in repairing badly damaged or worn edges.
- The hard one produces a superb edge.
- The black one is considered an extra-fine stone and you should use it for sharpening dental tools, straight razors, and surgeons’ scalpels. This option is popular with woodworkers, chefs, athletes all over the world because of its ability to produce a fine edge.
- Can be used either as benchstone or handheld.
- Lifetime guarantee.
- The soft stone is very rough.
These reviews will definitely guide you while choosing the best product for sharpening your knives. Before choosing the right sharpening stone that would match your needs, you should also watch this video.
The Best Pick
Everyone would want to get the best value for the money once they decide to build their first sharpening toolkit. Just consider your needs and your budget before you make a purchase.