Who doesn’t make chicken salad for parties? For all I know, chicken salad comes in handy whatever the purpose of the gathering may be. You can serve it as an appetizer, main course or even as a side dish. It’s a perfect choice for busy people like us.
Chicken salad is a delicious, healthy food that’s so easy to prepare. When you made a bulk of chicken salad and ended up with leftovers, what do you usually do? Can you freeze chicken salad? Let’s find out if we can!
Can You Freeze Chicken Salad?
We may have a bit of concern when it comes to the mayonnaise or yogurt, but certainly, we can freeze chicken salad.
There are different ways to prepare this type of salad. Still, what makes those fresh ingredients more appealing to the taste, is the yogurt or mayonnaise that comes with the dressing. You need to know that yogurt and mayonnaise tend to separate after freezing.
Before we start freezing, remember that if the salad has already been exposed to heat, outdoors or even at room temperature for a few hours, it’s no longer advisable to be frozen. The already developing bacteria on the salad makes it not safe to eat after freezing.
When making chicken salad in bulk, try to serve it gradually, as needed. The rest of the salad should be placed in the fridge. Aside from making it fresh in every serving, you are making sure to keep it away from bacteria exposure. The refrigerated salad is safe to freeze and will last longer.
Freezing Chicken Salad
When freezing chicken salad with yogurt or mayonnaise, give it a perfect stir to keep all the ingredients well blended. It will minimize the separation after thawing. For an effective freezing procedure, keep in mind the following process:
- Prepare your chicken salad for freezing in portions that you think are good for one serving. This way, it would be easier for you to get some and use.
- Choose resealable plastic bags or airtight containers to store your salad portions. Be sure to remove excess air by squeezing the bag. Vacuum sealers are the best option for this. All plastic containers must be tightly sealed.
- Label each portion with the current date for tracking purposes. You need to have a reminder on how long it’s been stored in the freezer, so use a permanent marker.
- If possible, arrange them in the frostiest spot of the freezer. If done correctly, the chicken salad would last frozen for 2-3 months.
The Thawing Process
Like any other thawing process, transfer your chilled salad to the fridge. It usually takes several hours before it’s ready for use. Don’t thaw at room temperature. You’re inviting bacteria to thrive in your salad by doing so.
- Never put thawed chicken salad back to the freezer. If you’ve taken it out already, use it right away. Remember to eat the salad 2-3 days after thawing. Leftovers must be disposed of properly.
What To Do After Thawing Is Done?
When thawing is done, you can use or eat your chicken salad. However, here are some tips to enjoy your salad to the max:
- Drain out any excess water from the container before placing it in your serving dish. Excess liquid will make it taste watery and bland.
- Stir well and combine all the ingredients together for a good blend. This will make the flavor evenly distributed all over.
- If you like to improve the texture and consistency, you can add cornstarch and mix again. The quickest way is to add more fresh mayonnaise.
- Sad to say, thawed chicken salad can’t be compared to the taste of a freshly made one. To maximize the use, you can use it as a sandwich filling or mix it with other salads. Adding it as an ingredient for pasta salad is a very good idea too.
- Add color to your newly thawed chicken salad. Garnish more fresh fruits, greens, and sliced vegetables. It will look fresh and appealing.
- Season it again. A pinch of salt and a dash of freshly ground pepper will give it a kick.
Now you know that you can freeze chicken salad. Go on and plan that party you are worrying about. You can make and freeze the chicken salad ahead to have plenty of time for the event preparation. Or if not, you can freeze all your leftovers right after the occasion.
No worries, both are possible. It’s a practical solution for a busy day. Now, share this to everyone you know who needs this. Hit like and share!