Who doesn't love mozzarella? If there is a more delicious meal than chicken and mozzarella cheese, then I'd like to know. But for now, I want to enjoy the creamy melting taste of cheese and chicken together. What comes to mind? Of course, Chicken Lombardy!
Chicken Lombardy is a recipe that offers you the tenderest chicken and the heavenly taste of mozzarella, all in one dish. Lombardy is a region in the northwest of Italy, as I found out in my research, but there does not seem to be much of a connection between this recipe and the name. Maybe the dish originated there, but it has not been documented.
Anyways, let us just move on and find out how to make Chicken Lombardy. It is good to know that the ingredients are easy to get, which you can buy fresh or in packets.
There are different versions of Chicken Lombardy. In this recipe, it is made out of chicken breast, lots of butter, cheese and some Marsala wine to spice up your meal!
1. Prepare all of your ingredients.
2. Preheat the oven to 230 degrees C.
3. Trim the fat off your chicken breasts.
4. You can place the chicken on baking sheets or wax paper, but I used my chopping board. It is more convenient.
5. Using a mallet, flatten your chicken breasts into a ¼ thickness. You can use your rolling pin to do this, as it is much easier and creates an even thickness.
6. Rub your chicken breast with ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of black pepper. Season it well.
7. After the seasoning, roll the chicken breasts into flour (or coating mix) to coat it. Leave it for a while at first, giving it enough time to absorb all the seasoning.
8. Meanwhile, prepare your pan on the stove top. Turn the stove on to medium heat.
9. Melt the 4 tablespoons of butter, and using it as oil, fry the coated chicken breasts.
10. Brown each chicken breasts on each side for 5 minutes.
11. Prepare a baking dish that is big enough to fit the 4 chicken breasts. I used a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
12. When you are done with the frying, arrange the chicken breasts in your prepared baking dish.
13. Add the remaining butter to the pan, followed by the sliced mushrooms.
14. Sauté them for 6 minutes until the mushrooms turn brown and tender.
15. Scoop the mushrooms from the pan, and scatter them evenly on top of the browned chicken breasts.
16. Pour the Marsala wine and the chicken broth into the pan.
17. Let it simmer and then turn the heat to low, before cooking for another 10 minutes.
18. Make sure you stir the broth while it is simmering.
19. Add the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt, ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper, and 1 tablespoon of butter.
20. Stir until the butter is completely melted then turn off the heat.
21. Pour the broth mixture over the chicken and mushrooms.
22. Mix together the parmesan and mozzarella cheese in a bowl.
23. Scatter the cheese mixture evenly on top of the chicken breasts.
24. Bake for 20 minutes until the chicken is golden brown and cooked from the inside.
25. Let it rest for a few minutes before serving.
When I was first making this recipe, the chicken did not make it to the baking process, as the kids ate it all while I was still preparing the cheese. It was okay though since it is already a meal, even without the baking. The cooked brown chicken already tastes good when it’s soaked in the Marsala mixture!
So I guess, if you want a swift Chicken Lombardy, you can do steps 1-18 earlier, before you start cooking. Put it in the fridge and then cover. When you are ready to bake it within the day, sprinkle it with cheese and bake.
The taste of freshly baked Chicken Lombardy is a level up compared to the unbaked dish. It is a whole different dish that is so creamy and flavorful. You should try it!
Chicken Lombardy is an easy recipe to make, especially if you’ve done it before. What is great about this recipe is that you can make it ahead of most of the ingredients. If not, you can even buy the ready packed kind in the groceries. It is quick to make and satisfying for the whole family.
Have you tried the recipe? What can you say about your version? Cooking is just about what suits you. You are free to make any changes you want. Add spices or substitute some of the ingredients to your preference. That’s what makes the dish interesting.
More Chicken Recipes
If you like the outcome, hit share and tell your friends!