Who does not love mozzarella? If there is a more delicious meal than chicken and mozzarella cheese, then I would certainly go for it. But for now, I would like to enjoy the creamy melting taste of cheese and chicken together. What comes out of my mind? Of course, Chicken Lombardy!
Chicken Lombardy is a recipe that offers you the tenderness of a chicken and a heavenly taste of mozzarella all in one. Lombardy is a region in Italy found in the Northwest part as I researched. Any connection of this recipe except for the name, there is not much to tell. Maybe somehow, it originated there but was not documented.
Anyways, let us just move on and find out how to make Chicken Lombardy. It is good to know that the ingredients are just around the corner, you can buy it in packs or fresh.
Chicken Lombardy are made in different versions. In this recipe, it is made out of chicken breasts, lots of butter, cheese and marsala wine to spice up your meal!
1. Prepare all your ingredients.
2. Pre-heat oven to 230 degrees C.
3. Trim the fats out of your chicken breasts.
4. Place chicken on baking sheets, wax paper but I used my chopping board. It is more convenient.
5. Using a mallet, flatten your chicken breasts into ¼ thickness. You can use your rolling pin too, it is much easier and the thickness is even.
6. Rub your chicken breast with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Season it well.
7. After the seasoning, roll the chicken breasts into flour (or coating mix) to coat it. Leave it first, just giving enough time to absorb the seasonings.
8. Meanwhile, prepare your pan on the stove top. Turn on to medium heat.
9. You melt the 4 tablespoon butter and using it as oil, fry the coated chicken breasts.
10. Brown each chicken breasts for 5 minutes, each side.
11. Prepare a baking dish big enough to fit the 4 chicken breasts. I used 9 x 13 casserole dish.
12. When you are done with the frying, arrange the chicken breasts in your prepared baking dish.
13. Add the remaining butter to the pan, followed by the sliced mushrooms.
14. Sauté for 6 minutes until you see that the mushrooms turned to brown and tender.
15. Scoop the mushrooms from the pan, and scatter it evenly on top of the browned chicken breasts.
16. Now, pour the marsala wine and the chicken broth the pan.
17. Let it to a simmer then turn heat to low, cooking for another 10 minutes.
18. Make sure to stir the broth measure while simmering.
19. Add the remaining ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, and 1 tablespoon butter.
20. Stir until butter is completely melted then turn the heat off.
21. Pour the broth mixture over the chicken and mushrooms.
22. Mix together the parmesan and mozzarella cheese in a bowl.
23. Scatter evenly the cheese mixture on top of the chicken breasts.
24. Bake for 20 minutes until the chicken is golden brown and cooked from the inside.
25. Let rest for a few minutes before serving.
When I was making this recipe at first, I did not make it to the baking process. The kids ate it all while I was still preparing the cheese. It was okay though since it really is already a meal even without baking. The cooked brown chicken already tastes good when soaked with the marsala mixture!
So I guess, if you want a swift Chicken Lombardy, you can make ahead steps 1-18. Put it in the fridge and cover. When you are ready to bake it within the day, then proceed with the sprinkling of cheese and bake.
The taste of a freshly baked Chicken Lombardy is a level up compared to the unbaked. It is a whole different dish that is so creamy and flavorful. You should try it!
Chicken Lombardy is an easy recipe to make especially if you are already used to it. What is great about this recipe is you can make ahead most of the ingredients. If not, you can even buy the ready packed in the groceries. It is quick to make and satisfying for the whole family.
Have you tried the recipe? What can you say about your version? Cooking is just about what suits you. You are free to make changes. Add spices or substitute some ingredients to your preference. That is what makes it interesting.
If you like the outcome, you can hit share for your friends!