Easy, quick recipes! Who does not need it nowadays? When you want to make the most out of your day, an "eat and run" usually offers an extra time to spare. This Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings recipe will fall into the category of "cooking in just a snap"!
I never knew the exact origin of this recipe. I was thinking of Chinese because of the dumplings. All I learned is that Cracker Barrel is an American chain of restaurant and a gift store that was founded 47 years ago.
A country home style dish, the taste must have been really good, that those who ordered and ate it can’t seem to forget and kept on longing for another sip. This favorite soup recipe must have been copied and cooked at home by customers as time goes by.
In our new world, recipes evolve surprisingly fast. You’ll never know what the original was. It is somewhat good news really; it is making our food choices never boring.
Now, this Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings is sometimes called "Texas-Style" or "Southern-Style". Who wants to cook chicken with dumplings today? Let us make it the Cracker Barrel way!
Let us start with the chicken!
1. Boil to cook your chicken cuts (If you have left-over chicken, no need to boil).
2. When chicken is done, take it out from the pot and let it cool.
3. Set aside the broth for later. If you are using the left-over chicken, two quarts of broth from the store can be a substitute. Heat it up.
4. Shred your cooked or leftover chicken into smaller pieces, the size you want it to be. If your chicken cuts have bones, you can take it out. However, there are soup lovers out there who like their soup with bones.
They say, boiled bones for soup adds up to the flavor and provides calcium. When you are done, set it aside for later.
Let us make the dumplings!
5. In your bowl, put the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix it well.
6. Put the butter into the mixture. Use your fork to blend or if you have one, pastry blender. Using a machine is much quicker and even in blending.
7. Pour in the buttermilk. Blend it together until the texture of the dough is enough to hold a ball.
8. Flour your countertop, enough so not to let your dough stick on it. Put the ball of dough on it.
9. Use your rolling pin starting from the center of your ball of dough. Roll it over the dough back and forth until it is flat and thin. Do not forget to sprinkle flour into you rolling pin to prevent the dough from sticking to it.
10. Get your pastry cutter and start cutting the flat dough into two-inch strips. You can make your own size though.
11. Put back the dumplings into the bowl. Set aside.
Let’s start cooking!
12. Get your broth. Let it boil for a few minutes. While it is boiling, drop the dumplings in small portions, one at a time. I know this is just simple boiling but when you have a pressure cooker, the soup turns out quite great!
13. Every time you add a portion of the dumplings, do not forget to stir. It will prevent the dumplings from sticking to one another.
14. Let it boil for another 20 minutes until cooked.
15. Get your shredded chicken and add into the dumplings soup.
16. Let it boil for another 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and serve!
Upon cooking, you will notice that the dumplings absorb the liquid really fast. Some prefer it with less soup, almost without as the dumplings are placed on the plate. If you are like me who loves soup, I pour extra broth, let it boil for 1 minute or 2 then done. It will give me a lot of extra sip for a cold dinner night!
Wasn’t that easy? Want to watch a video on the actual making of this dish? In this video, he made a lot of soup. His version cooked long since the length of time depends on how much you are cooking. Here, help yourself and enjoy!
That was a piece of cake! Now, let us learn some tips to make it faster.
Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings is a comfort food. If you are looking for a meal that would warm up your family on a cold day, I bet this recipe will save your day! Just keep enough stocks of shredded chicken and a few cut dumplings in your fridge, then you can make a hearty soup in minutes!
Hopefully that this article helped a lot in giving you another traditional and humble meal to share with the family. I am positive that you can now make it your own like a breeze! For all who loves to cook, but not enough time, her you go with one of our "meals in just a snap".
There’s nothing in this world that excites me more other than cooking. From appetizers to desserts, since then, I’ve always been passionate on making foods.