Waffle fries! These fries are in the shape of very delicious, crispy, golden brown waffles. They are yummy enough to get your children running from their rooms. It’s a crispy snack that will make your family, relatives, and party members say “YUM” when the plate is empty! Dip them with ketchup, salt or anything else that you like!
What are waffle fries made of? They are made out of fresh potatoes and a little sprinkle of whatever you like. It's a simple recipe that makes a yummy meal. Slice and shape them, deep fry them, and cool them down. It’s as simple as that!
If you think making waffle fries is hard, you are wrong. It is easy! Once you know how to make them, you can have as many as you want, every day, without any fuss. You can even teach others how to do it! Especially your kids!
Share them by making a hearty meal for your family, friends or special guests, and enjoy each fry to your heart’s content.
Making Waffle Fries In Seven Easy Steps
STEP #1 - INGREDIENTS HUNTING IN THE SUPERMARKET
Searching for the right ingredients at the groceries can be like trying to find your way through a maze, especially if you are in a hurry.
Thankfully, you will not really need to get much stuff with this recipe, as all you really need is a Patata (potato) or a whole bunch of them if you want to make a lot of waffle fries. The ingredients are just potato, oil and some flavoring that you like.
- Tip: To make your waffle fries taste better, always choose the freshest and best looking potatoes. Rotten ones will, of course, upset your stomach.
STEP #2 - WASH THEM WELL
Scrub your potatoes well, especially if you are going to keep the skin on. Who knows what bacteria could be on them. Do not use soap, however, water will do.
- Tip: Soak the potatoes with cold water first to prevent them from turning brown while you prepare the pan or deep fat fryer.
STEP #3 - SLICE AND DICE THE POTATOES UNTIL THEY LOOK RIGHT
To make the perfect shape, you are going to need a “crinkle cutter” as this device makes the cutting much easier. If you do not have one, do not fret! They are very affordable.
However, if you have a vegetable chopper, it is a lot easier and faster.
- Slice the potato downwards and rotate it 90 degrees before you make each slice.
- Keep on doing this until you used to it and become very good at cutting. Make sure that they're evenly cut and the perfect shape and size. It’s your choice whether you want them the fries big or small (Medium is advised though).
STEP #4 - COOK THEM TO YOUR HEART’S CONTENT
After carefully slicing the potatoes, deep-fry them using a deep fryer. It is very simple.
- Add oil (it should be poured up to 375 degrees to let the fries soak).
- Then carefully put the fries into the deep fryer! If you do not have one, use a pot and put the fries in carefully, so that the oil does not spill all over the place.
- Cook them for at least 5 minutes until they are a delicious golden brown color. This tells you that they are done and ready to eat.
STEP #5 - LET THEM BE COOL JUST LIKE YOU
When you have finished frying, put the golden brown waffle fries on the baking pan! If you do not have one, use a plate or tray. Place some paper towels on the pan and drain the oil at the same time.
If you want to add some seasoning or spice, now’s the time to do it!
STEP #6 - ADD THE SEASONING OF YOUR CHOICE
Once the freshly fried potatoes have cooled down, add the seasoning of your choice, if you want to. It’s okay not to add any at all or just put some ketchup on top of the fries.
Below are some suggestions that the kids will love:
- Cheese powder or freshly grated cheese.
- Chicken gravy (yep, they love it!).
- Ready mix tortilla dips.
- Spicy beer mustard, Queso Fundido al Tequila, Espresso barbeque sauce, and Tangy ranch dip duo are all good dips for your waffle fries. If you don’t have any of them, or think they are too much, Ketchup is another suggestion.
- Onion powder, Cajun seasonings and fresh garlic are some seasonings that make waffle fries even yummier. But don’t overdo it or they will taste too very, very bad.
STEP #7 - GET READY TO ENJOY YOUR FRIES!!!
This is the favorite step of all! Are you ready to taste your fresh brown fries?
Here are some secrets for tasty and crispy waffle fries:
- It’s all in the oil! You can choose any oil you like. But make sure it is oil that has been continuously used for a while. Do not use oil that's either new or old.
- Freeze the sliced potatoes first, allowing the moisture to break out, as this results in crispier fries.
- Fry them twice. Half cook them the first time at a lower temperature, and then fry them again at 350 degrees F until they are cooked. They will be creamy inside and crispy outside, as a result.
Well, anyway guys, the secrets I have given above are a compilation of tips from restaurant chefs who have tried and tested many recipes for waffle fries. Following these professional tips is sure to be a step forward that will improve your cooking.
So how are your waffle fries? Taste them to find out and make sure you enjoy this lovingly prepared delicious homemade meal! Did you enjoy our simple waffle fries tutorial? This recipe is so simple you can serve it as often as you like for your kids and guests.
After all, who doesn’t love fries? We’d love to hear all of your valuable opinions and comments!