Burritos are just one of those "yummy luxuries" in my life. It never fails to give me the satisfaction after a first bite. I have a favorite food stand that I frequently pass by which offers the precise recipe to my craving taste buds.
Do you have your own particular flavor for this food? I like mine spicy. Have you tried buying as many as you can eat; like there is no tomorrow? I did. Sometimes, I got this greedy habit.
I stored some burritos in the fridge. The question is, "How to reheat a burrito to make it taste just as it would if freshly bought it, hot and delicious?". We will learn how to reheat it in no time but first, let us know some facts about burrito!
What Is A Burrito?
Burritos are one of the high-selling items in Tex-Mex restaurants. In Spanish, "Burro" means donkey. Therefore, "Burrito" means a little donkey. In all the recipes I read so far, there is no donkey related ingredient. I was wondering, why did they choose such name?
All I managed to learn is a tale of how this dish was sold a long time ago. At first in Mexico, this tortilla wrapped food was sold out by a man (Juan Mendez) using a donkey cart. The tortilla flour was used to keep the meat mixture warm inside. As time passed by, the dish became popular and hence known today as "Burrito".
This is commonly called in Mexico "Tacos de Harina". We can never be sure about its true origin.
How To Reheat A Burrito?
Burritos are delicious in their own special way. It is best eaten warm. So, if you got leftover burritos or just bought some but they got cold before you found time to eat, you will need to reheat them.
However, it is a little tricky when it comes to reheating because if you do not know how to do it, it will end up mushy. On the other hand, if you do it right, you will enjoy a burrito as fresh as it was when you bought it!
So here are a few tips on how to do it.
Using the Oven
What will you need?
How to do it?
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Get your burrito and wrap it with previously prepared aluminum foil.
- Put the burrito inside and heat it for about 15 minutes.
- Take it out and help yourself!
Using the Microwave
What do you need?
- Microwave safe serving dish.
How to do it?
- First, you need to moisten the tortilla. Drip or sprinkle a little amount of water on top of the tortilla. Be careful not to make the whole tortilla wet, just the exposed parts.
- Use a microwave safe dish and put the burrito on it. Place the dish at the center of the microwave.
- Cook the burrito on high heat for a minute. Open the microwave, turn it over. Make sure it is still at the center of the dish.
- Cook the turned burrito for another minute.
- Open the microwave, insert your instant thermometer into the center part of the burrito and check if it reached 165 degrees F. Repeat this process all over the burrito parts. Make sure that all parts are evenly hot.
If not, reheat the burrito for another half a minute or until it needs to get to 165 degrees F.
- Remove the burrito from the microwave and wait for it to be the right temperature for you to eat. Enjoy!
Using the Skillet
What do you need?
- Tong or something else you have for turning the burrito.
How to do it?
- Heat the burrito in a skillet on low heat.
- Cover and heat for 5 minutes.
- Flip it every 2 minutes to avoid burning.
It will make the tortilla crispy but it still tastes good!
There are many different methods on how to reheat the burrito leftovers. People have their own preferences on how they like it. The reheating method also depends on what type of burrito you have on hand.
Yes, there are different types of burritos. Each one has a different filling or even a different wrapping method. When it comes to heating, you need to consider the meat mixture inside. The length of time will vary because of it.
I guess you need to do the reheating several times to master the technique.
Different Types Of Burritos
All burritos are wrapped up in tortilla flour. The difference between each type is the filling inside.
This simple burrito is smaller compared to the other types. The filling includes beef meat and refried beans. This classic burrito is usually the basis of the other types.
With steamed tortilla, it weighs 800 grams making it the largest burrito worldwide. This could be your meal for the whole day! Because of its enormous size, this is usually packed with tin foil so that it won’t burst open.
This is an impeccable mixture of Mexican flavors of marinated tender chicken or beef together with crispy French fries.
Unlike other types, this burrito is stuffed with the traditional fillings but then layered with green or red chili based sauce. My favorite kind of spicy burrito!
This wrapped burrito is deep fried. Its ingredients include tender ground beef and tangy bell peppers encased in the well-known crunchy tortilla. It is the most prevalent shared photos on Instagram because of its distinctive appearance.
This burrito offers the mixture of Korean and Mexican flavors. The fillings include Asian ingredients and fish. This type has climbed high in the market.
Was your reheating a success? You have learned how to reheat burrito and its different kinds today. However, you can make your own style out of it. Tortillas are being sold everywhere; if you have some on hand in your pantry, you can make your own stuffing however you like it to be.
You’ll never know, you might create a new type of burrito that would be sold out worldwide! To those who are interested, you can start inventing now. Don’t forget to share it with us! Good luck!